Michael's Musings

What’s next on your shelf?

As the new year begins, my week one reading agenda consists of: finishing Mockingjay, the final book in the Hunger Games trilogy, and reading The Story of Mankind, first winner of the Newbery award. There will be more that I read, probably, but these are the only two set in stone.

I’d like to know: what’s going to be your first read of 2012? Or, since we’re already in the 2nd day of the year, what, possibly, was your first read of the year? As a certain origami finger-puppet might say, “Your comments, I would like.”

By the way, I should mention two things, both reading-related. First one for tomorrow, then one for today.

1) Tomorrow, be sure to check out Nerdy Book Club for a guest post from yours truly. I don’t want to toot my own horn too much, but when I finished it, it felt like something special.

2) Today is the last day my storybook iPad app, The Pirate Koostoe (learn about it here), is going to be on sale at $0.99. At 12am, the price jumps to $2.99. Now, as it was called “a top app in the children’s storybook genre…amazingly well produced” by The iPad Fan, and “a beautiful story with a wonderful message” by Fun Educational Apps, I fully think it’s a good deal at $2.99. But…not being a particularly good capitalist, I’d still love for everyone to own it at $0.99. So make sure, if you’ve got an iPad, to get a copy. If you know someone with an iPad, buy them a copy. Shoot, if you’re sitting next to a random iPad user in the coffeeshop today, buy them a copy.

(Okay, maybe don’t go that far.)

Self-promotion aside, though, what I want most of all is to know what you’re reading. May the posting begin!

9 Comments

9 responses to “What’s next on your shelf?”

1. Michael Chemers says:

THE PIRATE KOOSTOE is hilarious and well-produced – congratz!

I’m reading THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO for fun. Happy New Year!

2. Jennifer Tkocs says:

Well, since I finally finished the Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy (Maggie Stiefvater), I’m starting on Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. This should be interesting, as I am terrified by the idea of dystopian societies.

• Sara says:

Shatter Me is one of those books that I couldn’t wait to read. Not only has it been incredibly hyped online, but it has an incredibly compelling concept and a great blurb that screams “Read me!” Being touted as the Hunger Games meets X-men, Shatter Me boasted some of the most unique marketing I’ve ever seen for a YA novel, despite its unknown author and not-incredibly-compelling cover. Being the dystopian nerd that I am, I was completely pulled in by the incredible blurb and was beyond exciting for this title.

Shatter Me was strangely difficult for me to get into.. Firstly, Juliette spends much of the first half of the novel being completely obedient to the horrible regime that locked her away and seemed completely resigned to her terrible fate. It also doesn’t help that she spends far too much time feeling sorry for herself, calling herself a “monster” and dripping with angst. There were times I wanted to tell her to just get over it. Thankfully, throughout the novel Juliette’s adventures help to meld her into a stronger, better person who is more confident and empowered.

I’ve also read some interesting reviews that have discussed how much they loved the writing style in Shatter Me. I’m not sure I like it -in fact, I was torn for much of the book. Most of the writing is done in stream-of-conscious style that really gets into Juliette’s head, but left me out of breath by the end of most sentences. It didn’t seem that polished or crisp to me. Again, this did get better as the book went on, but I wouldn’t rave about the writing style here. However, some sentences here were amazing emotional gems that really were beautiful.

I wouldn’t call Shatter Me the best dystopian novel I’ve read this year, but it’s still worth reading. It’s certainly something different in the genre with a unique style approach that’s unlike anything else I’ve ever read. Recommended for fans of dystopian romance.

Have a nice day,
      Sara

3. Tommy says:

I’m finishing Harry Belafonte’s memoir, “My Song”. It’s a great read about all the performers who were popular as rock and roll was taking over. Then it gets even better with his close association with Martin Luther King Jr.

First full book of the New Year will probably be Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson.

I get the sense I’m not going to do much fiction in 2012.

4. Colby says:

The One and Only Ivan

5. Liz says:

I started and finished Killing Lincoln by Bill O’Reilly and Dugard. I can’t believe all the events that cause a perfect storm for the assassination to occur. Good read. I too am looking for titles to add to my reading list. The Hunger Games trilogy is on it. Happy New Year, Mike!

6. Alex says:

I already read my first book and I’m on my second! I gleefully tore through The Help in a day and now I’m starting Tuesdays With Morrie. My resolution this year is to try to read every book I’ve ever wanted to read. :)

7. Sara K says:

Wonder Struck by Brian Selznick. What can I say? I’m never growing up.